Shellac

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 02:29:21 MDT 2007

I never saw shellac on a plate, only on fine pored wood. Yes, it´s a nice
stuff but very hard to apply and not so easy to repair. I polished a few
pianos with shellac and must say that it´s not a nice job. One has to
prepare the surface very very carefull and accurate so that it´s very clean
and even before you start polishing. During polishing by hand with a
polish-bale made of linen (wrapped around a cotton core) you have to move
the bale all over the time. If someone asks you for the time and you look on
your watch for a second or two (stopping the movement and leaving the bale
on the surface) the bale sticks on the surface and it gets clammy. Then you
have to remove that stuff and start again. Very difficult: polishing curved
areas like the fallboard.

We experimented with spraying or brushing it and I heard from collegues
trying that too: no good result. The best is to build up a complete surface
work only by polishing. But the result is really nice and stable. It has a
depth in the glance. The drawbacks are: it takes very long to make a nice
surface. Furthermore you have to wait after each polishing pass so that the
shellac can dry. Next day you can go on. When the whole piano has been done
you have to let it rest for a while to harden the shellac. In the factories
(at that time when it was popular) they shelved the pianos for 6 - 12 months
before shipping.

For rebuilding it is not nice to choose shellac: very much work, so it´s
very expensive, and you have to wait before delivery. Perhaps for a
individual ambitious long-time project, but not for earning money. But I can
tell you: it´s a great feeling when you did it and can see the end result.
Particularly  when it is a black piano. Really something to be proud of.

Gregor