Litter box soundboard

Joel A. Jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sat Mar 31 07:10:48 MST 2007

Jim,

Dale is on the mark - #1. shoot the cat  ! ! !
Then replace the bass strings and any treble
strings that have been contaminated.  The reason
is  the urine eats through the steel strings quickly.
Ideal solution is to replace EVERYTHING.

I am just finishing a Steinway that had the bass
string core wire completely eaten away .  The winding
held the string in.  This happened within 2 weeks while
the owner was away and the cat sitter didn't notice
what was happening.

After removing the strings find a vet that specializes
in cats for a product that masks the smell of the urine.
My spray is at the shop but I think it is called 'Icky Poo'.
Follow directions, and use it everywhere.  In the action
under the plate, test the finish for safe use, and keep
the areas wet as the label directions describes the
process.

I am going to guess that the owner is an older, single lady.
Recently I was involved with a situation where a
lady had 70 cats in her house.  There is a disease
with a long name, that occurs with older, single women
who take in cats.  Both her houses were condemned and
razed.  She had moved to another town trying to escape
the health department.

We tried an experiment to save her console
piano with the icky spray treatment.  The action damage was
repairable, as the cats did not get inside the piano.
The case was amazingly unharmed with no loose
veneer.  Keys were naturally 'sticking'. After a very
  extensive cleaning we thought it was OK.   She
consigned the piano to a dealer, who eventually
put it in the landfill.  The piano did not smell , but
he found that several employees were allergic to cats
and their reaction was immediate when they came
near the piano.

A long saga, and perhaps a bit off topic, however
the short answer stands - shoot the cat otherwise
the same litter box situation will reoccur.

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI