English word for that?

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:28:16 MST 2007

I went to the Frankfurt music fair yesterday and scrolled through the Piano
Nomenclatur book by Schimmel. There I found a German word which I never
heard of, the verb "schiebern". I know what it means, but I usually say "to
remove schieber" (schieber as a noun). Funny: in that book there was no
english word for that, the only one translation was the Italian one. It
means the following:

When you move a few hammers to the strings by hand and you see that one
hammer has a left-hand (or right hand) twist so that the middle of the
hammer does not hit the middle of the 3 strings, one should regulate that. I
mean that the hammer makes not only a forward, but also a sideward movement
("schieber"). In this case one takes a piece of paper and adjusts it under
one side of the hammer butt flange. Correction tape for type writers does a
good job for that. The result is that the hammer is on the correct course
again. Once I visited the Renner factory and I saw some guys who did that
job in piecework. I never so that job done so extremely quick and accurate.

How do you say it on English?

Gregor