Ultimate Table Saw

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Mar 30 15:55:08 MST 2007

> Oh, how true.  I am recovering nicely from a deep cut on the face of my left thumb from my table saw.  After finishing cutting 150 small pieces of maple for a shank cutting jig I'll be giving away in KC, the last one did it.  The piece after cutting stayed between the blade and the fence.  I shut the saw off, and before the blade stopped I reached in to get the wood, and BINGO!  12 stitches later I analyzed what happened:  Tiredness, inattention, in a hurry, late in the day, and just not thinking.  I'm still learning that power tools do not forgive.....
> Mike Kurta

Hi Mike,
This isn't directed at you, but your post was a handy segue
into some of what has been discussed in this thread. I hope
you don't mind me borrowing it.

I've always said that, eventually, a power tool will hurt you.
You just hope and try to insure that your number comes up on
the wheel fifty years, or even fifteen minutes, after you've
died from something else. Whatever you think is necessary and
reasonable to achieve that is what you do. It works until it
doesn't. If that includes a $3000 dollar saw that won't let
you cut yourself however hard you try, then do that, but
without the "how much are your fingers worth?" stuff to
someone who doesn't. How many of you who made similar comments
own this saw yourself? Anyone at all? Do auto accident
statistics mean you should invest in a tank so you're
untouchable in an accident? Who drives a tank? Hands?
Thousands of injuries occur annually from people slipping in
the bathtub. How many wear overhead rigged safety harnesses in
the bath? Hands? The list of potential hazards is near
infinite, unlike the time and resources we have to deal with
eliminating them. We have to decide on our own personal
realities and play our own hands out as we are able.

My table saw is run without guards. I don't want them in my
way, and I sure don't want them giving me a sense of security
and safety around the thing. I use push sticks and such, but
that's it. I try to stay impressed with the danger and
destructive power of these electric pit bulls, and stay alert
as a consequence. Stupidity does strike on it's own schedule
though, and I've had a reminder or two. So far, the only
damage other than adrenalin shock and a tendency to babble
under some circumstances, has been a tremendous hand hammering
from a kickback, and being speared in the fingers a couple of
times when diagonal splits were cut off (other side of the
blade from the fence) and launched into me by the blade.
Luckily, the bone stopped them, but a guard wouldn't have
prevented this.

There are a half dozen ways to do something right and safely,
and thousands of ways to that same thing wrong and
dangerously, whatever the tool. I would have a very hard time
getting along without my table saw, but the same goes for my
band saws, for different reasons. They are all over 30 years
old, and not the top of the line, and I'll eventually upgrade
when I need capabilities they can't produce - possibly with
$3000 saws, but likely not.

Ron N