Baldwin spinet "lost motion" issue twice in one week....

Marshall Connolly falcone1132 at tmlp.com
Fri Mar 30 03:30:57 MST 2007

Hey Dave!

Isn't it true that the wealthyt clients will frequently have a Baldwin spinet?  All in all, they're the only spinet worth any time....."No Steinway B here-- wouldn"t want "muffin" to use the leg much like a fire hydrant (if poodles can actually do that!) "  With any luck, it's an earlier model-- always check the bass bridge- and it has a chance.  By the time they got to the 'forks' at the end of each key and the elusive (and perpetually deteriorating) "wire-lifter-nuts", in the 70's- everything started "circling-the-drain":  Well, it's somewhat like a car that you "just-can't get-rid-of-that-last-rattle".  RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!  :)

Well, seriously, go into the service call with a flashlight, and any tools you might need to regulate.  IT CAN BE FIXED!  Check your spec's for the action, and work from top-to-bottom".  Drop-actions aren't any fun to contend with, but the Acrosonic is about the most "technician-friendly":

Rather than pulling the action, use that flashlight to visually look for foreign objects in the action.  First, take up lost motion-- it's the single-most frequent cause of action problems- hand-in-hand with "hammer-blow-distance". .  Expect that if the  previous owner "played- it", it will be apparent when testing each note for regulation.

Above all, make the piano the best that you can-- subject to the owner's willingness to " make-it-it's-best".  Frequently, these people are the type that have their "personal assistant" schedule a tuning every few months.  Other, equally wealthy folks on the same street ( MULTI million dollar domes) couldn"t give a rat's (you know what!) about a gorgeous Steinway "B" in need of attention to improve its value for the market, or for their "bottom-line".

If you think that the Baldwin spinet is bad-- come see my "rusted-solid" S&S B!!  I guess the whole mess is relative.  It continues to be interesting, and  inspires me to continue the tradition that preceeded us all---continue the fostering of the piano in society.  It is truly an honor to be a part of this noble sojourn!

Respectfully,
Marshall Connolly
(the OTHER Marshall)Original Message -----