Baldwin spinet "lost motion" issue twice in one week....

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 21:58:36 MST 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is not the jack spring.  That was the first thing I tried in both cases.  The jack snaps right back into position.  That's another weird thing.  It lines up perfectly.

Hammer IS resting on rail.

The problem lies in figuring out at which point in the linkage the hangup is occuring.  I got on my back and waved a flashlight around for longer than I should have(I was late for my next job...), and slid a split mute handle around in various crevices looking for erasers and the like that might have found their way into the bowels of the beast.

If this was an upright, the action would have been out and back in in five minutes, problem solved.  Since this is a spinet, what would be obvious problems on a normal piano, are headaches--and backaches and neckaches.

On the other hand, I did get both notes working, though I circumvented whatever problem is in there without solving it by adjusting lost motion, letoff, and checking.  They don't play perfectly, but at least you can hear something when the key is struck.

There appears to be something holding the wippen "up" in each case, judging by the backcheck position.  I'm beginning to suspect someone may have installed the wrong part in the standard sticker piano, and there is something blocking linkage in the inverted sticker piano.

IF I get called back and the customers want to pay me to remove the action and do the work, I'll letchall know what it is.
I wish this was a "puzzler" where I could give you an answer, but it isn't one of those...yet!

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net