Baldwin spinet "lost motion" issue twice in one week....

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Mar 29 21:03:24 MST 2007

Hi Dave,

Only one note on each that wouldn't regulate??!!  You're a Star!  I can't say any of these I've ever seen regulate well.

But, I digress.....

Is the hammer resting on the rail, or, more specifically, at which linkage does the action hang up?  Is it at the sticker,wippen, or hammer, or other.  I might suspect a tight jack pinning not allowing the jack to return under the butt all the way.  Any more clues you can give??

William R. Monroe

Dave S writes:

SNIP
  Everything was there, but the lost motion ate up about a quarter inch of keydip.  I looked for things that might be wedged in there, but I could find nothing.  And I didn't have time to pull the action, having already spent most of the appointment pitch raising the pso and vacuuming out the various places where who-knows-what may have dwelt.

  Second piano, a just-delivered rental piano, had the same symptoms--again on only one note--but it was one of the newer type Baldwins with the rubber grommets hooked into the lifter fork, and the plastic nut on top.

  I checked linkage as much as I could, but could find nothing wedged anywhere on either instrument, though on the second one the connecter to the elbow was sitting up too high.  Very frustrating.  I explained to the owner and renter that this is one big reason why spinets in general should be avoided.

  Dave Stahl, RPT but humbled by Baldwins again