Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 23 16:10:09 MST 2007

Given the area of the ridge compared to the area of the panel itself...
I would think this would be negligible.  On the other hand the total
compression set in the panel itself such a ridge would be indicative of
would no doubt have an impact on the sound.  As I understand it, that is
one of the main points.  Compression builders insist that the presence
of compression in the panel has an impact on the sound that they want.
And the majority of the information I've read on the subject matter
certainly supports the idea that compression in a panel will have an
impact on the sound.  Whether one likes that impact or not is another
matter.

If the panel looses support against crown in an area for whatever
reasons... and I'll most certainly buy that this could be related to a
compression spawned weakness... but not necessarilly so...  then you
have a problem for sure.   Otherwise I'd suppose that their impact is on
the order of a crack... not much.  And again... listening to hundreds of
instruments that have ridges tends to support that stance.

And btw... I do not agree with the statement that such panels find their
support soley from the compression of the panel itself.  I understand
the reasoning... and like very many others dont see it that way.

Cheers
RicB

    Not exactly.  While there are no "compression ridge" or "crack"
    noises as
    such, it's not quite true that they do nothing or mean nothing for
    the sound
    of the instrument.  That they exist indicates a weakening of the
    soundboard
    spring which was supported by nothing more than the compression of the
    panel.  The weakening of that spring does have implications for tone.
    Moreover, they have implications for the tonal stability of the
    system over
    time.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net