Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 17:51:18 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
>I have questions. Is it possible that the pianos made before the 50s
> were made using wood that was seasoned more?

If seasoning is defined as air-drying, then yes.

> Is it possible that the
> fast drying of the spruce that is used today has changed the way it will
> swell and shrink with time?

Well, yes it is possible. And it is possible that improper kiln drying will
be detrimental to spruce over time. However, one really needs to understand
the basic process of wood drying. Air-drying of wood can be very good - but
only under controlled circumstances. If the wood dries out too quickly (easy
to do with air-drying - uncontrolled sun, uncontrolled humidity,
uncontrolled wind speed, uncontrolled temperature, etc.) it is easy to
permanently damage the spruce.

PROPER kiln drying is by far the best, most controlled, way to dry green
spruce. One can damage wood just as easily with kiln drying as with air
drying. Maybe I should correct that. One has control over kiln parameters,
so it is easier to monitor/control environmental wood drying parameters.
With air-drying, one has little if any control.

And believe me, I know. I have had shipments of green wood arrive at my shop
and have had a dry weather spell - the spruce starts cracking within a day -
if you don't have the means to control RH and move air you get in trouble
real fast.

Bottom line: Old methods of drying wood - fine many times, sometimes maybe
not so good. New methods of drying wood (modern kiln): If used properly, is
much better and more reliable than air drying. But again, only if done
properly.

Terry Farrell