Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 12:50:52 MST 2007

I  William.

And fine thoughts they are as well..  I didnt mean to convey that we
should accept anything. I just meant to point out that there are a lot
of claims out there that when it comes down to it we dont really have
even reasonable assurance are correct.  A lot of observations and
educated thinking goes on... but even the best of that ofte times as not
proves in the end faulty.  I just meant that its important to keep an
open and questioning mind.

As to compression ridges... I seem them in most pianos sooner or later.
Cracks too.  The only way I know how to <<<guarantee>> the absence of
the first practically guarantees the other... sooner or later.

Cheers
RicB

    I don't think that is the point, Ric.  While cracked soundboards don't
    necessarily present a performance issue, neither does a mismatched
    or poorly
    applied finish.  Does that mean we should accept either one from
    "the world
    standard" in pianos?  Just because it does not present a performance
    issue
    (in this case) does not mean that it is good workmanship, or is in any
    conceivable way acceptable on a brand new $50, $60, $100K piano.

    my thoughts,
    William R. Monroe

    SNIP