The Steinway tradition (was SV rebuild)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 12:45:22 MST 2007

Hi Ed

I have no problem with any of what you say below.  I find it really
quite in agreement with what I was trying to say... plus you add a few
points about what some of our realities are... which I have no problem
with either.  I pass no judgment on it all really...  because , well
thats such a huge can of worms.  I mean pianists above all know so
little about their instrument that essentially the whole thing becomes
an issue of magic.  And well...  if its magic that does it for them
there isnt a lot I can do about.  Ever read Ibsens Enemy of the State ?

We of course can try and fight ignorance... but its a loosing battle.
And in the end perhaps its just as well to try and make a bit of our
own... Try to do as much good as we can in this world... and when we
leave it.... well gawd knows what comes next :)

Cheers
RicB

           This points up the paradox of modern Steinway marketing.
    Staying
    "authentic" in the eye of the market doesn't mean staying as close
    to tradition as
    possible.  It is possible to be more traditional, it just costs more
    than
    they think they can recover.  Hammers are a prime example.  The one
    component
    that is more responsible for the "Steinway Sound" than any other is
    nowhere near
    like the hammers used when this brand made its name.  A Steinway
    hammer from
    the 1920's is not the lacquered blob of felt that is on these
    pianos, today.
    Lots of other differences, too.  Not the least is the poor
    alignement of the
    action components,which, I believe is directly attributable to less
    labor being
    spent on construction.
        The "eye of the market" depends on a lot of customer ignorance,
    and it
    seems that the marketing department likes it like that.  My local
    dealer is fond
    of telling new Steinway customers that I am not qualified to work on a
    Steinway, because I haven't been to the school.  He doesn't realize
    I have been to
    the school, as well as graduating from the North Bennett School, as
    well as
    maintaining a school full of my Steinway restorations,(which are
    increasingly
    bringing me business from other schools in the state when they play
    them), as
    well as maintaining the home Steinways of three Steinway Artists in
    town for the
    last 28 years.  I am not going to say anything to him about this,
    preferring
    to let him cut his own throat.
        What I think he is trying to avoid is having a new piano
    examined by
    someone that is not under the thumb of the factory.  No need to tell
    customers
    about all those nicked front pins, now, is there?  There is a long
    list of normal
    defects that would have to be addressed if customers had objective
    evaluations of their new Steinway.  Is this tradition?
    Regards,

    Ed Foote RPT