Facts and nots : was Recommend Rebuilder?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 22 01:57:25 MST 2007

Why yes, I suppose they do.  And we hear from many holds that cracks in
soundboards do nothing to the performance of the soundboard per se. We
hear a lot of very specific claims from a lot of folks all over the
place put in very authoritive language.  One of the pieces of advice I
have found most valuable given to me here some years ago was to not just
swallow any of it, but to check things out on your own.  First check I
make is to see if a claim is based on real controlled observation or
not... or whether its based on theoretical musing.  Stephen Birkett said
something to me this summer that sat very well with me.  It more or less
boiled down to... << if you cant take a picture of it... then you dont
know really know for sure whether what you think is happening really is >>

Cheers
RicB

    Steinway bluntly says in their technical reference manual for
    technicians that compression ridges are not a problem and are a sign
    of a good
    board under ideal compression.

    I'll leave it at that as I don't want to catch the flames 8-)

    Andrew Anderson