chisels over to bridge height

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Mar 27 02:33:29 MST 2007

Hi Gene

Yes, if you want to be able to locate the right height of the bridge
surface at the notch when thats done this way, then your cut for the
middle string has to pretty much represent where the notch edge ends
up.  No doubt being a mm off or so will not make much difference to the
end height except perhaps way up in the treble.  Avoiding any cut that
would go to far in (and deep) towards the center of the bridge goes
without saying.

I'm new at this, so if you are going to get experienced advice then some
of the seasoned rebuilders will have to jump in for you.

Cheers
RicB

    I am curious if part of the indexing could include locating the
    speaking
    length for the sample notes? Otherwise how would one know where the
    notch
    will be - or maybe just close enough is ok? I would think that notching
    about 1mm or so from where the bridge pins will be drilled may be
    advantageous for later finish notching and will not matter that much
    to the
    bearing?
    Thanks for any thoughts.
    Gene Nelson