SV: Re: Chopin's piano

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Mon Mar 19 11:38:33 MST 2007

It is really nice and interesting to listen to the music on the instruments on which it was actually composed.
I have rebuilded old Erard grands like the one  Chopin once owned and many pianists find that playing the music on these pianos give them a better understanding of the music.
I is of no interest which instrument the old composers would prefer as they had no choice. If Mozart lived today he might have played eletronic pianos and his music would be different.
The old pianos were made for small halls and the major difference to a modern grand is that they have many more "colours" but not the same power as a modern grand. On the other hand you can play from "ppppp" while the modern grand may start on p or pp.

Jurgen Goering <pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com> skrev: I once had the pleasure of experiencing Beethoven sonatas played on an
1830s Broadwood concert grand in a piano collector's home.  This piano
was very similar to what Beethoven would have played and  composed on a
decade or two earlier.    The instrument had been in good condition
originally and had been refurbished.

In this case, I was thrilled it wasn't a modern concert grand I was
hearing.  It was a "goosebumps" experience.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com