A question about hammer construction

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Mar 17 14:32:10 MST 2007

Hi Geoff.
   Good response to your associate by the way.
   There is so much Myth about hammer construction it  sometimes boggles my
mind. The colored under felt as Bill points out is just a  way to designate
hammers or make them ....pretty.  It isn't a harder or  softer felt just colored
& separate.  The  other coloring is or was at one time a stiffner or a moth
proofing agent. In  formerly colored area & in Less stiff/hard  hammers I
routinely  add 3 or 4 to 1 lacquer solutions in  acetone to beef that area up &
give the felt higher up, a foundation to push against, instead of absorbing
enrgy.  Sort of like the foundation of a house.  This way it actually  contributes
something Instead of being just dead weight along for the  ride.
  BTW adding under felt actually diminishes resilience  because the top felt
is bent & compressed less completely around the  molding.  Hammer without it
are  not inferior or cheaper necessarily, but it is an extra step to  include
the felt & a bit more fussy in the pressing operation.   IE. the U.felt
sometime wants to slide around under pressure. The  under felt is more of a device
to resist the Molding cutting in to the top  felt.  Nothing lost particularly
if a bit of cutting in the under felt  happens.
 Remember we don not want maximum resilience in a hammer  as the
advertisements for various makers would have you believe. We need limited  resilience.
This is our medium in which we can work,voice & create  tone. On an imaginary
felt/hammer/ stiffness scale of 1 to 10 , hammers in  the 4 to 8 range are
desirable & the extremes are not.
  As to layers the felt sheet is a homogeneous mass and we  put way to much
thought into layering as a concept.JMO. I shape hammers &  cut thru the
proverbial layers all the time on every set & it is not  detrimental to the tone but
an enhancement.  WHen the strike point is well  defined I also experience a
more defined & clear tone.
   However,There is a tufting of the felt as we file  & we all experience
this but the fibers can usually be cleaned up &  fiber be made to behave & lay
down by sanding with finer & finer grades  of paper. I usually end up at 4 to 6
hundred grit.
   The idea that cutting thru layers some how  diminishes the tension &
compression aspect or component of the hammers  construction just doesn't bear
itself out in day to day practice & is  verifiable by certain experiments
inflicted in the hammer. Ie. sanding  a  hammer into any or odd shapes or making
fairly deep razor cuts directly into the  shoulder & then listening to the sound
before & after the cut.   You all suspected I was a twisted sort now it's
confirmed.  But  this is the way we learn stuff.
  Cheers Geoff
  Dale

This afternoon, after  store hours, I asked a salesman at the store I work at
one day a week  about the way he describes hammer construction and
performance to his  customers. Basically he is telling customers that the colored
section next to  the wood is a second layer that makes the hammer harder, (or
whatever), and  that the multiple layered hammers perform better, last longer  and
are subsequently more expensive and therefore only found on  pianos that cost a
little more. Single layer hammers, (solid white), on  the other hand, are
softer, don't perform as well and wear out  quicker.

I shared with him that I  seem to remember "learning" somewhere that the
colored section was,  functionally, simply that. A colored section. That the
coloring of that  section was used to identify hammers made to certain
specifications and/or for  certain buyers. Also, that hammers with that colored layer were
only found  in pianos whose manufacturers went to the trouble to actually
define  those characteristics to the hammer manufacturer.

The fact that the colored  layer hammers are only found in the slightly more
expensive better  made pianos is a given. As is the fact that the colored
layer also  usually indicates a higher quality hammer. My conversation with this
salesman  was not an argument. I was just curious and was hoping to learn
something. But  at the end of our conversation we both had the same  questions:

: Is that colored section actually a  second layer? (We could not tell by
feeling it.)
: Is that colored  section, or second layer, actually functionally different
than the rest of the  hammer?
: In other words, does it  actually do more than merely act as an identifier
for the characteristics of  that hammer?

The way he describes  hammers to the customer probably doesn't require
change. Simplifying  things for the average customer is not necessarily a bad thing.
We just want  to know for ourselves.

-- Geoff  Sykes
-- Assoc. Los  Angeles

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations