chisels

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 17 12:39:43 MST 2007

Hi Guys.

Fully aware that I am the novice here, I would like to mention something
about this concavity... since I havent seen it come up before in the
thread.  At the class I attended about how to do all this, this
concavity is at least half the reason for useing a wheel in the first
place. Once finished with the wheel, whetstones then are used to polish
this away.  The wheel leaves a bit of a cuff on the edge, and one starts
on the low grit stone with a few pulling strokes to break this off,
leaving only the clean edge. Then one starts the process of honning away
the concavity... or at least much of it. When enough of this (or all of
it) has dissapeared then the high grit stone is used to polish the back
side to a mirror.

The angled side of the mortise chisel was never on the wheel, and was
only pulled and honned slightly in comparison to the amount done on the
flat side.

I'm not saying this is <<the correct>> way of doing things, because
frankly I haven't a clue yet, but this is what I was shown and it did
indeed give a very sharp and very easy to notch with edge.

In the aftermath of that class however I must say I was suprised to
learn that there they used a high speed wheel and made nothing of the
importance of useing a slow speed whet wheel.

Cheers
RicB