chisels

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 21:25:02 MST 2007

The Tormek system isn't good for flattening the back of a chisel which you
have to do periodically.  Moreover, it puts a slight concavity on the bevel.
Purists don't care for it, but it is easy.  I've been sharpening with a Borg
Water Cooled Rotating flat stone for years (I just set it in my utility sink
and let the water drip on it from the faucet) followed up by a couple of
Japanese stones for honing the edge.  Works fine and is fast (and cheaper
too-the Borg runs about $150.).  Sharpening stones all the way through works
just as well once you get the hang of it.  Like anything, there is some
skill involved-and a learning curve, albeit a short one if you pay
attention.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com