chisels - Terry Farrell

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 21:07:52 MST 2007

The flat sides of the grinding stone have coarse and fine grit. If grinding is needed, I grind them on the stone. And then I follow up with polishing on the leather strop.

I'm not an expert at blade sharpening. I know I get many blades pretty darn sharp - believe me, I know:

This sucker was deep and was close to spurting as my hear beat! Just finished polishing a hand plane blade (cleaning the polishing compound off the blade).

Maybe I'm not getting as perfect a back-side edge as I can. I don't know. I've always wondered about grinding the back side of a blade: can you really grind a  small thickness off the entire back side of a blade (I mean a normal human with manual methods)?

Seems to me you'll always have a small bevel on the back side of the blade. I know that is not optimal, but is it avoidable?

I don't know. I'm eager to learn. I've been doing what seems to work, but I'll be the first to say that I don't know if my methods are optimal.

Suggestions?

Terry Farrell