Electric Planer - Upgrade Time

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 16 15:09:47 MST 2007

Terry,
         Some time ago you took my recommendation
on a bandsaw and I dare say have been quite happy
with it ever since. Am I wrong? Now, take my
recommendation for a planer. Buy a very old cast
iron planer from a place that resells old
equipment from an industrial arts program that
they used to offer in schools or the like. The
vibration from any of these new bench top models
renders them quite useless for high quality work
and also they are not robust enough to take much
off at a time. I recently found and purchased an
18" Yates American which I'm finding to be
everything I could ever want in a planer. You'll
want something like it which has many settings
for variable feed rate and/or motor speed. The
helix spiral cutter heads are available for
almost any planer out there if you choose to
retrofit. You could start by doing a google
search for Rockwell planers or some other older,
tried and true name brand that just won't die.
Alternatively you could fork out big bucks and
stay with the Laguna brand and I'm sure, find
something to your satisfaction. IMHO, NOTHING
beats good old American cast iron though. Good luck!

Greg

At 02:06 PM 3/16/2007, you wrote:
>I find myself planing a lot of wood these days.
>My little 12-1/2" two-bladed DeWalt I think is feeling the strain.
>
>I think I am looking for a 15" - 20" electric
>planer with one of those spiral cutter heads.
>Does anyone out there have any experience with
>this type of planer - or perhaps some other recommendations?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell
>Farrell Piano
>
><http://www.farrellpiano.com>www.farrellpiano.com