chisels

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 16 13:58:29 MST 2007

Ok guys.... since this turns out to be a wealth of information type
thread.... let me trouble you all for one more detail before I lay my
bucks on the virtual table the internet market place is tuning into.
What grades (of stones) do you recommend for my use.  I had thought
getting two stones.  One for getting close... and one for polishing to a
mirror finish.  The idea of getting good at this appeals to me for some
reason... so bouncing 650 Euros for a Tormek is something I will put off
for a bit longer me thinks.  I have a functional slow moving whet wheel
that will do for now.

Cheers, and thank guys.

RicB

    Hey Terry and all,

    I'd hang on to the stones.  There are some tools that the Tormek
    doesn't do
    well.  I also use a Tormek, love it, but find it is unable to do
    some tools
    reliably.  Particularly, I have a couple of felt knives, as seen in
    Pianotek, one is a round scabbard that, when pulled apart, reveals a
    short,
    chisel-like blade within, the other is another short, offset blade
    that is
    fairly wide.  Because I sharpen them with a VERY shallow angle for
    cutting
    felt, they cannot be sharpened on the Tormek, so I use a granite
    surface
    plate and sandpaper, but If I had a nice set of Shaptons, I'd use those
    instead.

    Food for thought,
    William R. Monroe