Checks cause hammer bounce ?

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Thu Mar 15 05:36:56 MST 2007

Ric,

I've found that the symptom you describe is most often a bedding
screw (glide bolt) adjustment problem. I'm probably mentioning
something you already know, but since Steinway keyframes are made so
that the front rail of the key frame springs up slightly at the ends,
you need to clamp the ends down to the keybed before adjusting the
glide bolts.

The dial gauge method is unquestionably the last word for setting the
bedding screws. The traditional paper shim adjustment method is
highly error prone, even in the hands of an expert. Once, at a
Steinway seminar at the Sydney Con in 1992, the visiting S&S tech
showed us on the first day how to adjust the bedding screws using the
paper method. The next morning I brought in my dial gauge and wooden
mounting block, which showed that the adjustments of the previous day
were all over the shop. Its quicker and totally accurate. The
procedure was posted in the Journal a couple of years ago.

When David Kinney and I were at Samick doing some work in January,
the head technician showed us his dial gauge and block for setting
the bolts in the same way. So that's two techs I know of who came up
with the same idea independently. The third was Richard Davenport.

Anyhow Ric, if you didn't use a dial gauge for setting the bedding
bolts, its time.

Regards,
Ron O.

--