clues to grand hammer pitch

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Mar 13 12:22:06 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "RicB" <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:44 PM
Subject: clues to grand hammer pitch

> Hi Barbara
>
> I suppose you mean the rake of the hammers ?...

Yes, I suppose so.  Vertical pitch is on the Ronsen order form.  And
when I talked with Ray, he used the term.   Yes, I confess, I wanted
someone to bore, etc. them for me....

> i.e. the angle they are to
> the shank ?  If so... I don't think you need to worry about what they are
> <<supposed>> to be because there are several quite acceptable schools of
> thought on hammer rake.

Would you like to list them?  Though I suppose I could do a search on rake.

>Assuming you don't have any clearance problems
> between the belly rail and the plate up in the higher treble... as for
> example some Bechsteins at the top and at the break between the top and
> treble sections,  you can approach this several ways.  My default is to
> make the hammers 90 ¤  with the shank at string contact.
>
> You do know how to find the proper bore length yes ?...

Yes, but I'm wondering if the stack height has been tampered with.  The bore
length now is greater than what Ray told me it usually runs.  I'm having a
feeling that I'm going to go through a growth spurt on this one.  Or, the
owner may decide to just might have me work with what is there and get it to
play the best it can.

> If you are replacing much of the action, I suppose you should deal with
> your checking problems after you get all the new parts on.

Yeah, I was just trying to prepare myself if this part of the proposal is
accepted.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond