loose leg

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Mar 13 03:30:23 MST 2007

At 11:33 PM 3/12/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello Friends,
>
>AB Chase Grand.  Loose leg at the nose of the piano.  The leg plates
>mate well and tight, but when mated there is still a gap between the
>leg and the leg block (the part on the main body with the other half
>of the leg plates). I've not had opportunity to disassemble yet, but
>any hints or easily overlooked items?  I'm guessing I'll remove one
>or the other of the leg plates, remove some material and reassemble
>to get the plates to ride lower in their respective
>mortises/cutouts.  Confirmations/admonitions most gratefully received.
>
>William R. Monroe

Nothing you probably don't already know, or couldn't figure out, but...

First, make sure plate screws are tight, really tight. If the leg was
ever tight (w/ABChase, I'd bet it was) the plate fit should still be.
The plate flanges should _not_ be touching when leg is in place, only
the wedge/slot. The tightly mated surfaces are/should be wood to wood.

Second, while you're doing that, look VERY closely for a hairline
crack of the receiver plate or excessive wear/chips/weld repairs on
the tenon. If obvious (usually inexpert) repairs _have_ been made,
think seriously about replacing the plates.

If it's only wear, yes, chisel/rout a little under one flange -
shouldn't take much.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.