Seasonal pitch change:

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 11 08:44:28 MST 2007

Hi Cy

I can believe that,  tho I did find a measurable pitch change when doing
an experiment with strong (neodymn) opposing magnets under the treble
section while back.
I agree, a good deal of real world measurements and experimentation.
All part of a good days "woik"  as it were...

I should have a spreadsheet which charts expected changes of pitch for
both soundboard rise/fall and strings climbing up the pins in a couple days.

On the side... I cant get over the fact that this string climbing bit
has been a very large part of this discussion with no one seemingly
wondering why string climbing is suddenly like magic not only possible
but a matter of course. I cant count the times this has been plain
discounted as possible due to the large clamping strength and friction
levels involved when the string seating subject comes up. A couple
interesting points on that subject matter have had light shed on them by
this one I think.  First, that strings can and do climb pins after all,
and secondly and perhaps more interestingly... a consequence of this
climbing due to pressure from a swelling bridge surface is that the
indentation becomes wider because of the increased sideways excursion of
the string path on the bridge.  This has to be a partial explanation
then for why the indentation is so much more evident towards the bridge
edges then at the midpoint. The indentation is not necessarily so much
deeper at the edges after all...,  as I have always assumed it was.

Cheers Cy
RicB

    At North Bennet Street, David Betts told me they once put a jack
    under a
    piano they were about to tear down, and put pressure on the
    soundboard from
    below.  Even with significant force, no pitch change was detected.

    Time for more Real World experiments, methinks...

    --Cy--