Nossaman SD10-B

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 19:20:28 MST 2007

What can you do with a 26 year old 9' Baldwin that has
a bad pinblock, junky sound, poor treble sustain and
worn brick bat hammers?  The answer for me was to
carefully craft a rebuild and design improvement
proposal for this customer so I could take it to Ron
Nossaman.

Last week I went to Wichita and picked it up with the
newly designed rib, soundboard and bridges. In our
shop we will refinish it and put new action parts on.
The action will be balanced from A0 to C8.  Listening
to it even with the old hammers, that Ron had to steam
down quite a bit just to be able to get some idea of
the sound, is a very interesting experience.

The trichords are gone; low tenor has wound strings
going to a transition bridge; board has 22 variously
radiused, laminated ribs instead of 18; greatly
increased cutoff area and fish; brass weights for
particular areas under the long bridge; heavy brass
bar across upper treble at front edge of sb.; Conklin
front duplex changed; and more...

This instrument has a great sound even with the old
hammers on.  The bass absolutely kicks; the tenor
smoothly transitions between bass and plain strings;
the treble is very clean now with good sustain.  I am
very pleased with the sound.  It will do a great job
of filling a 1150 seat sanctuary.

Last night my son played a Prokofiev Sonata on it down
in the shop.  He was thoroughly taken with it and
wished he could do his upcoming senior recital on it
instead of on the brand new piano that is in their new
recital hall.  Maybe I'll record something you can
listen to after it is finished.

I plan to install the Ronsen VSG (VFG) hammers.  More
info will be forthcoming after their on.

This makes so much sense considering the results and
the money spent.

A happy camper,
Bob E. Hull