Untunable G-150

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Fri Mar 9 20:30:33 MST 2007

Hi Dave,

It sounds as if you may be dealing with one of the grands that had a
phosphor bronze rod on the bottom of the v-bar. It was a nice idea--except
the material has a very high friction--so tuning is difficult to say the
least. In one piano I was able to solve it by using protec for four tunings
in a row. It seems to have lasted now for quite some time.

I agree with you about the glass.

Bottom cover, top cover and damppchaser may stabilize the piano so long as
there is no direct sunlight.

At 08:05 PM 3/9/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>    Hello all-   I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was going  out of
>my area to service a Young Chang G-150 due to the fact that no one in the
>area could tell her why it would go out of tune within days of  service.
>First of all, I didn't like the room it was in.  Kind of a four seasons
>porch with glass making up three walls. Aside from this,  after close
>inspection, tuning went fine until I ran out of agraffes. At the  capo bar
>there seemed to be so much friction that you could not settle the  string
>where you wanted it. I would move the string up and down and it would  make
>a loud snap every time it would finally break the friction and change
>pitch. I tried a little ProTech with no results.   Of course I have seen
>pianos that did this but none that were anywhere  close to this bad. It was
>untunable, and what improvements I was able to make  were gone in a few
>days due to the unequal tension in the strings. Has anyone  else seen this
>in the G-150s and found a cure? The only thing I can think of  trying is to
>replace the duplex type bridge next to the tuning pins with some  thick
>understring felt. At least that would reduce the angle of the string going
>under the capo.   Any suggestions welcome.   Dave Bunch
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner