Seasonal pitch change:

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 8 22:03:06 MST 2007

> Do people notice tiny discrepencies of lever pressure on tuning pins?
> We never can get all of them perfect. My suspicion is that some of the
> unison problem is simply the fact we are never perfect tuners, and as
> the piano "flexes", when it settles back those discrepencies "come to
> the surface".......  There are so many factors at work in tuning 3
> strings together..... It's a miracle, to me, anything stays.
> les bartlett

I have no doubt this is a factor, as I've noticed the result
in my own, and other's tunings. The last string tuned in the
unison is the most likely to be out, being revisited and
verified least. While that may account for some of the little
stuff, it's not a major factor in tuning instability unless
the tuner just has no clue whatsoever. That's short term. In
the long term, the shorter overall string length will react
the most to humidity induced changes however skilled the tuner
was.

Since the role in soundboard rise and fall has apparently
suddenly and miraculously been discovered to be relatively
inconsequential to the process, I expect that shortly after
the flurry of rim and plate movement, rotating pin block,
rolling bridge, and warping continent theories dies down for
lack of rational connection, the observation that string path
length changes with strings being moved up and down bridge
pins slanted in apposing directions by humidity induced cap
dimensional changes will be equally suddenly and miraculously
discovered as being a likely candidate, to the edification of
- some, maybe. That is, if anyone actually runs some physical
tests and thinks about it.

Hey, it could happen someday.
Ron N