Seasonal pitch change:

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 8 12:35:38 MST 2007

Andrew, Les... whomever else

Many folks have observed that unisons seem to show a pitch change
pattern depending on the season. The left string is either highest pitch
or lowest and the right the opposite with the middle somewhere in
between. Sometimes it looks like either the left or the right string is
more affected then the other two that seem close to the same pitch, with
the pattern being otherwise the same.  I believe this happens when a
piano has experienced a season change after having been given a very
stable tuning. The most stable tuners I know see this kind of thing all
the time.

The fact that this happens points me in the direction of the bridge
itself tilting along its curve.  Given the kind of increase in
downbearing pressure any attempt by the soundboard to rise vertically
results in, it seems likely to me that the bridge would tilt in the
direction of the edge with most downbearing pressure on it during
periods of increasing humidity. That could account for some of the
uneven change in unisons that fit this pattern. It could also contribute
to the overall pitch change. A 40 mm tall bridge tilting 1 degree would
alter the string length by 0.7 mm without altering tension.  Thats going
to affect pitch big time in short strings... not much in longer strings.

In the long tenor strings, where we see at the end of the bridge usually
the largest pitch change neither speaking length change or deflection
change seems likely.  Tension has to change somehow. To get 50 cents
just from tension change you need about a 10 lb change in tension.

I havent looked yet at how much tension change would be caused by a
change in the relative position of end points (hitch pin and tuning
pin).  sigh... more to look into :)

Cheers
RicB

    Les,
    I'd have tended to agree but the pattern repeats in all different
    types of pianos and in the same way for different people.  I think
    there is a smoking gun here.
    Andrew

            Andrew wrote:
             >I've been suspicious of soundboard deflection being entirely
             >responsible too, for different reasons.  Thanks to Ric we
            know we
             >need to look elsewhere.  I've also noticed a pattern to
            seasonal
             >pitch changes that involves the unisons, especially the
            three string
             >unisons.  It usually don't go out entirely the same way.
            Sometimes