oldest Bechstein

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Thu Mar 8 13:46:27 MST 2007

Stephane,

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the answer to your
question about the action. Since I just examined the action for the
first time the other day when I tuned the piano, I'm just figuring
out how it all works; I presume it is the sliding jack type you
mention, yes? Those are the backchecks at the bottom, with the little
springs.

I'll be happy to measure C5 for you next time I'm at the shop
(Monday), and take a look at the ribbing (or take a picture for that
matter, if you're interested). The piano is playable as is, yes -
there's just one damper lever that's disconnected. The owner of the
instrument, David Winston (at Period Piano in Kent, UK -
periodpiano.com) mentioned to me that the bridge is coming loose from
the board. And when I roughed in a first tuning (around 415 Hz) it
was apparent that the sound transfer was week. But still, I could
imagine a sweet sound from the instrument when it's restored. It
really is in quite good shape for it's age, you're right.

This piano is for sale (if you or anyone knows any Bechstein
enthusiast/collectors out there who might be interested); generally
David finds finds old instruments and then (hopefully) clients to buy
them who are willing to commission the restoration as well. I work
for David two days a week, and it's a continual adventure, as you can
imagine, with instruments like these coming into the shop.

Best regards,

Allen Wright, RPT

p.s. I'll send along a picture of the bottom bass hammer in another
posting.

Stephane wrote:

[   Looks like you have a major historical piano in your shop !  I'm
greatly interressed in Bechstein pianos, and I appreciate much the
pictures you had the kindness to share.
Do you already have an idea how the instrument sounds ?  Is it
playable (it looks in quite good condition) ?  Does it have
"floating" trebble side of soundboard ?  Fanned ribbing ?  What
action is in it ?  The English type with inverted sliding jack ?  Or
the Pleyel-like type ?  How long is C5 ? (326 mm ?  shorter ?)
If you have more pictures, I'd be very interested to see.  I have
restored about 21 Bechstein pianos, but the oldest I had was #4043.

I wish you good work.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.   ]