Seasonal pitch change:

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Mar 8 12:47:35 MST 2007

Hi Don

A couple things to remember... these are all based on same size wire
0.9 mm (seemed like a good average) and short back lengths.  Still they
give a good enough picture.  Longer back lengths end up requiring even
larger deflection changes for any given pitch change, but downbearing
levels are lowered.  Still... no soundboard/bridge is going to rise 5 +
mm me thinks.

I am also curious as to why damppchasers have an obvious positive
affect.  Obviously wood is involved.  In grands however... I cant see
the bridge itself being to awfully much affected by the DC unit (perhaps
I am wrong).  And the bridge is where most of my attention is focused on
this issue at the moment, for a couple 3-4 reasons as I've stated in
other posts.

Rim, pinblock, and frame could all conspire to alter the end points
somewhat.  I still dont quite get why this should effect the lowest
tenor strings sooooo much more then others.

btw... it always seems to me like there are 4 independent sections and
they all respond pretty similarly to each other.  Pitch drops most in
the lowest notes of each section.   The bass and top sections behave a
little differently then the middle to... but not all that much.  That
points me back to the bridge..... grin.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    Most interesting figures. I've not believed soundboard moving up and
    down
    had much to do with pitch corrections for some years.

    What I *do not* understand is *why* damppchasers work to ameliorate
    seasonal pitch change. Clearly they don't have much effect on metal.
    That
    leaves the rim and the main frame as possibilities.