Ahhh, marketing

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Mar 8 11:45:52 MST 2007

This is the point where I feel compelled to make a point of interest.
Real, true marketing is telling the truth as you see it, providing an
excellent, reliable product or service, being an excellent, reliable
individual or team, and then making sure, in the most confidence-
enhancing yet imaginative ways, that your target market likes and
trusts you....like Yamaha over the past 30 years, for instance.

Let us not confuse true marketing----building relationships, building
trust---with the marketing you guys are rightly skewering, which is
foisting bullshit on an ignorant (they think) public.

The exciting thing I'm finding in my business is that more and more
people have highly developed BS detectors---because of the Internet,
and Larry Fine, they've become much more educated, information-rich
consumers; the Web has allowed them to flex their research muscles,
and they definitely can spot truth, FEEL truth, and vice-versa.

I can't tell you what a powerful experience it's been getting
qualified, trusting clients, ready  to cut me a check sight unseen,
SOLELY from a search engine leading them to my website. When I began,
that was my dream---to see if I could replicate my in-person presence
and context on my site---and I did it, because the clients you really
want are the ones you can tell the absolute truth to because they
really want it, and love it. I'll go into more detail about this
later, because I think it's important for us as small businesspeople
not to throw the baby out with the bathwater vis-a-vis real,
effective, long-term marketing and branding of our names and
reputations---as Roger Jolly, for instance, has very successfully done.
Best,
David Andersen