Hitch pin trouble

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 8 06:14:54 MST 2007

Hitch pin troubleWest System epoxy can be mixed with a number of their fillers to achieve any consistency you may desire (in this case I'd recommend their # 404 High-Density filler). So sag is not an issue. What can be an issue is adhesion to the substrate. With the two-step bonding method you first apply unthickened epoxy to the substrate surface to wet the substrate out - much easier to rub/brush/drip in a thin material than a paste to make intimate contact with the substrate. Then you mush in the thick stuff. Epoxy in an application like this relies on a mechanical bond, so the more you can work the epoxy into the substrate the better. In fact, if possible, it is recommended that one sand unthickened epoxy into a metal bonding surface for maximum adhesion - you can't do that with paste.

I'm not saying a paste won't work, simply that the two-step will give an extra measure of adhesion. If epoxy ever fails, it is when it breaks off from the substrate.

Terry Farrell