Hitch pin trouble

Charles White cw2345 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:24:20 MST 2007

On a new Perzina (sp?) grand, the F#4/G4 hitch pin let go.

1st symptom, notes out of tune.
2nd, more out of tune.
3rd, the hitch pin pulled out.
The pin was not broken, the hole is clean and empty.  It looks just slightly
elongated to me, 13/32" deep.

I Hammered in a slightly thicker pin sent by the dealer (an experienced
tech,) but it too pulled out under tension.  Gap filling CA glue helped a
little, but not enough.

Dealers idea:  PC-7 ('cold weld') epoxy.
My idea: drill a deeper hole, use a longer piece of steel for the pin. The
plate is at least 5/8" thick there.
In our conversation the dealer suggested doing both at one time.

What's your opinion?  Any advice on tools/technique/pitfalls drilling in a
grey iron plate?  how deep?  Technique in pounding the pin in?
What can I use for longer hitch pins?  The steel in the pins seems fairly
malleable.  I do worry about getting it down a longer hole without bending.

Thanks for any and all advice.  You're great!

Charles

Charles White
White's Piano Service
Houghton, MI 49931