engineered wood rail (was: What would Steinway do)

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed Mar 7 13:08:21 MST 2007

>  >In the world of all-wood rails, I have only seen solid wood (usually hard
>  >maple). What is a "heavy engineered wood" rail? Terry Farrell
>
>Terry,
>Here's a photo of Renner's old (left) and new (right) back action rails.
>Above them is a piece of a hammer rail.

Hi Jon and all,

I haven't seen those Renner hammer rails with the two different
coloured woods, only the multi-laminated all-Beech versions. The
likeness to the rails we built for our piano no. 3 is uncanny. We
build them slightly differently now, but they're still laminated. The
wippen rail and hammer stop rails are similarly laminated. Here's an
image which shows our piano no. 3 action rails.
http://overspianos.com.au/003bg.jpeg

And here's an image of the most recent four Overs actions we built.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/ovsmc2.jpg
The two woods used are Australian Antarctic Beech for the outer
layers, with a Rock Maple center layer.

BTW Terry, saw your recent post describing your crate building
episode, during which the measure-twice-cut-once rule reared its
inconvenient head. I think we've all been there. The only folks who
haven't are liars.

Its a bit off topic, but I am reminded of a comment my wife's aunt once made.

Several years ago the aunt was walking along a beach with two of her
women friends. During the conversation one said,"I can honestly say
that during our twenty years of marriage, [my husband] and I have
never had an argument. To which the other friend replied, "I wish I
could say the same." In reply the aunt said, "why don't you, she just
did?"

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY