Aural Tuning- Pianos with High Inharmonicity

Jim Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 7 09:05:19 MST 2007

If your wife is right, you'll go broke trying to stay busy tuning pianos
without tuning any spinets or consoles.  They are our bread and butter,
especially in the beginning as you build your business.  The nice big grands
are the desserts.  I used to hate spinets and thought that they should all
be hauled out and burned, but with time and experience I've come to realize
that a good portion of our nations musicians started out on spinet pianos.
As imperfect as they are, they have their place and we need to make peace
with them.  With time, you will learn how to handle their quirks and
problems and they will be like any other tuning, just different.  They pay
the same and take about the same time as any other tuning.  Learning how to
stretch the bass and treble were the most difficult parts for me.  I use
double octave 5ths in the treble to set the amount of stretch and don't
worry a lot about the octaves which will be wide.