Problems with Yamaha C7

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 20:49:46 MST 2007

Phil:

I had something of the same experience several years ago when I took over maintenance of a C-5 in a studio. The previous technician had over-needled the hammers from the side apparently, or gone straight down on the strike on that side too deeply. Why, I don't know, the other 2/3's of the hammer strike were actually quite nice except for the "thuddy" sound from the dead part. I lacquered these hammers from the affected side, and very carefully to see the wicking of the lacquer only on that side and all the way up to the strike on that side. When the lacquer had set, all I had to do was run my trusty electric toothbrush over the surface on that side, and a few very shallow stitches with the Hart single needle and all was well.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)