Problems with Yamaha C7

pjr pryan2 at the-beach.net
Mon Mar 5 18:08:17 MST 2007

On a well-used 10 year old C7,  the right string(only) on most of the
high treble notes does not sound (just a thud). String sounds good when
plucked.  Thought it was hammer alignment, but even with the una-corda
depressed, there was not much of a difference. Filed a few hammers flat
across the top, but no improvement.  Then noticed a indentation sideways
on the strikepoint of most of the affected hammers.  The felt seems to
sink in (soft) at the strikepoint,  too deep to file off.  I doped the
hammers with some keytop solution and the sound of that string got
better;  but this is only a temporary solution.  As I see this piano
every ten days,  I know I'm going to face this problem again very soon.
Has anyone a suggestions on these Yamaha hammers?

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach