Jack button punching felt

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 21:56:29 MST 2007

Hello my friend

  Jurgen,  Currently the common part we use is a  woven white felt of medium
density & approx .120 to 140 thick.  I was  wondering if the Wurzen type felt
as in the Wurzen " wunderkind "  front punching would be an appropriate felt
for this application. It would  be advantageous if that felt would not be so
squishy and unlike woven felt  if it should allow for a more precise & durable
adjustment.  Perhaps it  might be too noisy but we could experiment.
  Any opinions out there?
  Dale

What is  the consensus on the best felt for jack regulating button
punchings?   In my quest to be the number one source for piano felts, I
am turning my  attention to this small but important detail.  We hear a
lot of noisy  jacks, due to dense and/or thin felt punchings.

What is the preferred  thickness?  What is the ideal density?  Hard to
measure, I know,  but I have felt density sample  charts from a leading
German felt  maker, and I can match up densities by comparing them to
the  samples.
What other criteria are desirable?

Any  input/discussion/help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jurgen  Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250)  754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com