Action ratio finder--ooops

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 15:23:27 MST 2007

Yes it was supposed to go direct.  Sorry
  Dale

  Yeah baby ...action ratio finder.  uh huh
  Dale

OK. I'll stick to just one, steady, measurable difference.  I do a  quick
action ratio check on pretty much every grand piano I come to;  American
Steinways have action ratios that are all over the map, with very  few below 6.0, and
many above that, which is defective in my view. German  Steinways almost
always have an action ratio of 5.5, 5.6, or 5.7---what I  consider to be ideal, and
should be repeatable in a well-controlled,  craft-oriented and led factory
setting. To me, this is an indication, a  clue, and could be revealing of many
other such disparities...each piano  technician has to make their own
judgement.  The problem is, most  American techs have little or no experience with
German Steinways, and the  reverse applies to European and Asian techs.

The negativity you European guys pick up from us in the States is
experience-based and documented; it's not some sour-grapes,  personality-deficit-driven
or ego-driven thing.

David Andersen

http://www.aol.com.