Seasonal pitch change: was -- Long term pitch drop, was: Type O

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 3 12:22:19 MST 2007

> Has anyone noticed how semilog progression bridge pianos are more
> sensitive to seasonal pitch change than hockey stick bridge pianos,

No, I haven't.

>or
> plain-capped bridges compared with laminated bridges?

Yes, most definitely.

>*Elongation* of
> the bridge in the tenor area might affect tuning more than say upper
> treble due to angle of the bridge and space between notes.
>
> Tom Cole

Only if you assume the strings don't render through the bridge
pins, when in fact they do. Low break% in the low tenor is
largely responsible for the relatively large pitch changes
with small string length changes. I still think a major factor
in seasonal pitch instability is the bridge cap shrinking and
swelling, moving the strings up and down a pair of oppositely
angled bridge pins. For instance, a 0.25mm soundboard rise
will make maybe 0.0022mm length difference at A-4 with a
speaking length of 406mm, and a back scale of 100mm. This
would bring the bearing angle from 0.42° to 0.59° which is, I
suppose, within the realm of possible. Still, the length
change won't account for the observed pitch changes we find
all the time. A swelling bridge cap moving the string up the
pins 0.2mm (0.0079", which is less than I have observed with
controlled tests) will change the length around 0.025mm, or
ten times as much as soundboard rise. By my measurements, the
point of zero relative movement between the bridge cap and the
bridge pin tends to be about 8mm under the cap surface, or
just about at the glue joint between the bridge body and cap.
An 8mm epoxy laminated cap changes dimension less than 0.001"
(0.025mm) through humidity swings that change a solid maple
cap 0.011" (0.279mm), so there's nothing awfully mysterious
about laminated caps making for a more stable tuning.

The next major factor behind the bridge cap/pin changes is, I
think, dimensional changes in the pinblock. I consider
soundboard rise/fall to be a far distant third on the list.

Ron N