unisons as you go

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Fri Mar 2 07:42:35 MST 2007

Hi David,

How did you evaluate the difference between unisons "as you go" and the
strip muting method?

When I changed from two mutes to one split mute the saving in time per
tuning was around 20 minutes.

Pitch correction has very little to do with the soundboard, and a lot to do
with hitch pins, plate flex, and flag poling of tuning pins.

At 12:06 AM 3/2/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>I;ve tuned both ways (unisons as you go and unisons after all the
>center strings are tuned) and I don’t find unisons-as-you-go to be
>any more stable.  Unless the pitch was way off.  But in that case, I do a
>pitch correction anyhow, which gets everything close enough that it
>doesn’t matter when the unisons are tuned.  A few beats difference in
>pitch between unison strings isn’t enough tension difference to make
>the wire pull through two bridge pins and around the hitch pin.  Nor does a
>few beats difference in pitch on a few strings here and there change the
>downward pressure on the soundboard enough to affect stability.  And
>don’t counter with a reply citing statistics from a major pitch
>correction of ALL the strings.             The point (of strip muting) for
>me is to avoid the tedium of pounding the same note over and over as you
>tune all three strings in a row, instead of spreading the tedium out over
>time in order to keep your sanity.    -- David Nereson
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner