Pitch Raise using RCT

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:05:56 MST 2007

David,

As long as the three unisons of any given note are anywhere NEAR each other,
you're fine with just sampling on one string. After all, all you're doing is
a coarse tuning.

That said, one piece of advice that will be helpful/beneficial is to tune
the A440 to your fork before you take the AAAAA sample. That will get you a
better pitch correction because the RCT can more accurately determine the
amount of inharmonicity.  HOWEVER, after you take the AAAAA sample, it's
best to de-tune the AAAAA back to where they were prior to starting your
pitch correction at A0. The RCT takes a moving 5-note average to determine
overpull. If your A's are in up to pitch, you throw off the overpull on
them, as well as the following 4 notes above. Rather than pulling a mute
strip (which it doesn't sound like you use...) I just "tune" one A to a
fifth below, then octaves from that.

Paul