Pianotech Live

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 07:31:50 MDT 2007

Kent,

The defining characteristic of Pianotech is that it is what the
participants make it.  It is more than the sum of its parts
(participants), but without participation it is nothing.  It has become
what it is today, through a process of self-regulation.  Folks who have
tried to steer it where the group did not want to go have been corrected
by the group at large.  In this somewhat sloppy democratic process, we
tend to give more weight to the comments of listers with a history of
constructive contribution to the list community.
So one or two folks planned and produce an event, calling it "Pianotech
Live", presenting it to the Pianotech community as a surprise gift.
Many did not attend, others attended and were disappointed.  What could
account for such a response?  Maybe the listers wanted something other
than what they were given, which the presenters didn't understand
because they never asked.
For future Pianotech events, I suggest a collaborative planning
process.  Post and discuss the plans on list, let it become a product of
Pianotech.  It is rarely possible to please all the people all of the
time, but if we're willing to plan the event openly,  the odds improve
significantly.

Mike