Becker 7'6 Victorian grand on eBay $500 @ 21 hrs

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 16:36:14 MDT 2007

At 1:24 pm -0400 17/6/07, Jon Page wrote:

>If it's a J. Becker, run from it. Bottom of the barrel Russian piano.

Jakob Becker of St. Petersburg (which this eBay Viennese piano is
NOT) was good enough for Tchaikovsky and, according to Dolge, "his
pianos, especially his concert grands, were excellent instruments,
often used by leading virtuosos". I'd dearly love to get my hands on
one.  The only one I've ever come across was one I restored about 20
years ago and it was fabulous -- ivory down the side of the keys,
screw-adjustable front bushings and chases, etc.  There was one very
special one in the London auction last year, which did not make the
reserve price and would have been out of my range anyway.

Your "bottom of the barrel" piano must be just a badge job.  So many
once great names have been bought or registered by lousy makers, both
in Europe and elsewhere, to put on the rubbish they make.  Luckily
both the English firms that did this have now gone to the wall, as
they deserve.

The eBay piano looks very interesting if horribly Viennese, and I bet
the inside is as overdone as the outside.  Priceless!

JD