SV: Steam treating hard hammers

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Wed Jun 13 01:14:31 MDT 2007

I suppose the steam just soften the outer layer of the felt. The main problem is the glue in the hammerfelt. They probably use very short haired felt which needs a lot of glue to keep together.
The real solution is to change the hammers to some of good quality so you can voice them.

Wayne Walker <wayne.w at musicstop.com> skrev:   Message      I have a  customer with a newer Chinese piano with harsh sounding hammers. I have tried  chemical softener, needled and the piano still sounds bad. The customer has  chemical sensitivity so I can't use anything in her home now. I was there a  couple of weeks ago and used the steam method on the hammers and it work great.  I was happy and the customer was happy, but today she left a voice mail saying  the piano is harsh sounding again. How long will the steam method last? Will I  need to do this often? I just want to have a happy customer with out having to  swap pianos with her.

 Wayne

  Wayne Walker
 Piano Tuner /  Technician

Musicstop Acoustic Piano  Service