Bechstein sound unchanged?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Jun 11 18:14:27 MDT 2007

The local theatre got some funding to replace their elderly upright pianos,
and got three nice new European uprights, one of which is a Bechstein to
replace a huge old Bechstein in one of the rooms.

I tuned it today and was musing that there are quite a few 100+ year-old
Bechsteins of a similar size in my area.  I was reflecting that in some ways
the "look" was similar, with agraffes throughout, and then I realised that
the sound quality is very much the same, allowing for a century of wear.  A
kind of sweet, pleasant, not too challenging and not too powerful tone.
Interesting that they haven't changed the sound they aim for in that size
model in a century!

I liked the arrangement for the celeste rail - no spring involved at the
top. (I don't think the pic shows it very well).

The theatre also has a beautiful S&S B, about 115 years old, but rebuilt by
Steinway about 25 years ago, and wonderful.

Best wishes,

David.