Sanderson Accu-tuner

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 10 07:14:25 MDT 2007

Hi, Barrie:
 I refer you to the manual for the SAT III.
http://www.accu-tuner.com/pdfs/2006_SAT_III.pdf
Check the table of contents and scroll down to the double octave beat description.  If you go to the Inventronics website, there is a lot of information regarding the SAT's.
The SAT calculates a stretch according to 3 notes on the piano, F3, A4 and C6.  If you find that the result is not satisfactory, you can alter the stretch using the D.O.B. (Double Octave Beat) button, either before calculating the tuning, or during the tuning process "on-the-fly".  Only the new SAT III's have this feature.  However, the older SAT machines can also be programmed to provide more stretch, using a method developed by Jim Coleman, Sr.  This must be done while measuring the piano for the 3 calibration notes, F, A, and C.  Without a machine in your possession, it would be difficult for me to explain exactly how it is done.
I'm sure the other computer-based machines can also alter their stretch curves to suit your ear.
Of course, you can always tune the center octave, and tune the rest by ear.
Best regards,
Paul McCloud
San Diego