KC: Piano Conservation Seminar

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 14:08:46 MDT 2007

Hi, all,

I just want you all to know about a very significant event at Kansas  City.

                                          A Seminar on the Conservation of
Pianos
                                        Friday  Morning, First and Second
Periods
                                      Sponsored by CAUT, Open to ALL
Registrants

Laurence Libin, former Keyboard Curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
and now Honorary Curator with Steinway and Sons, will lead off the event with a
lecture on piano conservation.  Second period will be a panel of 5 expert
members, Mr. Libin, Anne Acker, Stephen Birkett, Ken Eschete and Del  Fandrich.
This is a world-class panel, and you don't want to miss  it!

As piano technicians we are in great need of guidance when facing an older
instrument, often not knowing what to advise or whether we should rebuild.   We
run the risk of permanently altering important history simply by practicing
our trade....and this seminar will help us to understand when we need to
consider other, less invasive options.   I hope this seminar  will have a large
impact on the rapid destruction of historical  instruments - including the
pianos we often take for granted,  early Steinways, Bechsteins, Knabes, and....the
unknown Boston piano  we aren't sure what to do with!    That can only happen
if  you attend.  Come learn, discuss, and begin to make a  positive difference!

CAUT technicians should be especially expert with early pianos, and in a
position to give good advice or service.  But all technicians should know  the
ethics and resources of piano conservation.  This is a first for the  PTG, an
opportunity to engage with experts from the fields of museum  conservation,
organology (the academic study of musical instruments) and  early piano
restoration.  You don't want to miss it!

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus., Coordinator, Piano Conservation Seminar
_bdshull at aol.com_ (mailto:bdshull at aol.com)
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org)
 (http://www.shullpiano.com)