Ebony bridge caps

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:47:12 MDT 2007

Hi Dale,

Yes, exactly.  There are numerous theories, philosophies, and resultant "camps" when it comes to soundboard design, bridge design, scale design, etc.  This is something I love about this list.  As technicians, there is a danger, similar to being artists, in restricting our approach to any "one" theory. When everything is said and done, and the aliens are reading through the archives of "time capsules" containing "Earth History: chapter 384945: Piano Design",  there are morsels of truth in most all of the plethora of advanced and ancient concepts of design.  One of the joyous wonders of our being independent technicians is the freedom to embrace the procedures which ring true, and pick, choose, combine, or reject those which do not.  We live in an incredible time of communication technology where information is readily available and quickly accessed, and, to our advantage, the time lag in this exchange is rapidly diminishing. Having said all of that, (I also love dichotomies),I think most would agree that throughout the the conversations of boards, bridges, caps, etc, one theme remains constant:  minimize the losses.  Lost energy is lost energy.
                Michael C. Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

From: Erwinspiano at aol.comDate: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:32:27 -0400Subject: Re: Ebony bridge capsTo: pianotech at ptg.org

  HI Michael
  My thoughts in general not very well verbalized in my forst post.  Harder & denser materials affect impedance ...do they not?  SO tight grain anything is going to add mass,affect tone  & utilize energy more effeciently.
  Dale

  M Spreeman wrote
I think you're all right about why the more dense materials were and are used in the high treble.  The more dense the material, generally speaking, the faster the high frequencies will travel through it, minimizing energy loss, and, it has greater mass loading.

See what's free at AOL.com.