getting the plate out..and safely

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Jun 4 15:27:22 MDT 2007

Hey Phil,

Cool!

I have quest for you, in the name of satisfying that desire to know things
which probably don't matter (after all, it held).

Did you measure and see if there was any (how much) deflection in those
trussed beams (is that what they are called?)?

It might be instructive to take another 10' or longer 2x4 that is straight
(he, he) and cut a notch in the middle to fit over the chain.

Then lift a plate, place the 2x4 up to the truss again, and measure the
deflection by holding one end of the 2x4 tight against the truss and
measuring the gap at the other end.  It'd be interesting to know how
(relatively) strong those trusses are.

Best,
William R. Monroe